Leak and feta savoury muffins
For a well balanced lunch with some veggies
These savoury muffins are perfect for the lunch box instead of a sandwich. It’s the bread and the filling baked together. Made from gluten free whole grain and packed with vegetables and feta cheese for extra protein. You can make them ahead of time. Together with a box full of cut vegetables or a salad they will make a perfect balanced lunch.
2 tbsp olive oil
A pinch of salt
150 gr. whole grain gluten free flour (e.g. combination of millet and buckwheat, but rice, oat or quinoa flours are also fine)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp backing soda
1/2 tsp chilli flakes, optional
1/4 cup ( 50 gr.) olive oil
1 tbsp plant milk (like unsweetened soy or almond)
130 gr. feta cheese + more for sprinkling, crumbled
1 spring onion, finely chopped
Chives or the spring onion greens, finely chopped, for sprinkling
- Lay 8 cupcake paper liners in a muffin baking tin. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the sliced leek, sprinkle with a little salt and sauté for about 10-12 minutes, while stirring from time to time until the leek has softened and browned a little.
- While the leek is cooking, place flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and chilli (if using) in a mixing bowl. Add oil, eggs and plant milk and whisk together for a smooth batter.
- Mix in the cooked leek, the crumbled feta and spring onion and combine.
- Divide the batter in between 8 cup cakes forms, sprinkle with a little bit of feta cheese and chives on tip. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are firm and nicely browned. Take out of the oven and let cool on a wire rack.
Hi! My name is Galit Hahn, certified nutritionist an one of the nutrition experts of Renewmyday.
Let me be your guide bringing an indulging culinary world backed with nutritional science and a deeper understanding of the connection between the food we eat and our physical, mental and even spiritual wellbeing.
I hope you will be inspired by my recipes!