Parsnip and butter beans soup
A rich and nourishing wintery soup
Parsnip is a winter root vegetable that is rich with minerals, vitamins and fibre. It is creamy in texture and has a very aromatic flavour. The beans add protein and more fibre. This is a very rich, nourishing and satisfying wintery soup that is perfect for the thermos.
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves
3 medium parsnip roots, peeled and sliced, about 400 gr.
1 lt. vegetable broth, can be made from a good quality organic bullion powder
250 gr. cooked butter/ Lima beans,- can be from a jar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 branch rosemary, leaves only
- In a heavy soup pan, heat up the oil and add the onions. Cook on medium heat till the onion start to brown a little. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the sliced parsnip and keep cooking wile stirring from time to time. The good flavour of this soup comes from caramelising the vegetables, a process that brings their flavours out.
- Add the vegetable broth, the beans and the rosemary leaves, bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes until the parsnip is totally soft.
- Remove from the heat and let the soup cool down a bit. Use a hand blender to blend the soup to a smooth consistency.
- Before serving, gently heat the soup again and adjust seasoning. Divide to soup bowls, drizzle a bit of virgin olive oil and garnish with some fresh rosemary leaves.
Hi! My name is Galit Hahn, certified nutritionist an one of the nutrition experts of Renewmyday.
Let me be your guide bringing an indulging culinary world backed with nutritional science and a deeper understanding of the connection between the food we eat and our physical, mental and even spiritual wellbeing.
I hope you will be inspired by my recipes!