Yellow lentils, root vegetables and spinach soup
A meal on its own
This soup is a meal on its own. Protein and fibre from the lentils, more complex carbohydrates and minerals from the roots plus greens. It’s a perfect combination of nutrients that is nourishing yet easy to digest. Perfect autumn or winter warm lunch. It will keep well in the fridge for at least 3-4 days so make a big batch to save time.
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 carrots, scrubbed and cubed
3 small parsley roots, peeled and cubed
1 medium parsnip, peeled and cubed
1 leek, well washed and sliced
3 celery stalks, with the leaves, washed and thinly sliced
1 1/2 litre vegetable boullion (e.g. a good quality organic powder)
1 ripe tomato, diced
2/3 cup split yellow lentils, washed and drained.
Salt and pepper to taste
100 gr. spinach, washed and roughly chopped
A large handful of fresh coriander or parsley (or both) finely chopped
1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pan, add the onion and cook while stirring on medium heat till it begins to brown. Add the garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add the rest of the vegetables (apart from the tomato) and keep cooking while stirring from time to time for another 10 minutes. Caramelising the vegetables is the secret to a rich flavour.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, diced tomato and lentils. Bring to the boil, lower the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook for another 20 minutes or until the lentils have totally dissolved and the vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add the spinach and cook for another minute or two.
- Turn off the heat and add the chopped fresh herbs. The soup is ready to serve.
- Add lemon juice, 1 tbsp at a time until the flavour brightens.
Hi! My name is Galit Hahn, certified nutritionist an one of the nutrition experts of Renewmyday.
Let me be your guide bringing an indulging culinary world backed with nutritional science and a deeper understanding of the connection between the food we eat and our physical, mental and even spiritual wellbeing.
I hope you will be inspired by my recipes!