A typical Middle Eastern dish combining whole grain rice with lentils
This dish is the ultimate comfort food but without the heaviness that goes with it usualy. All good, wholesome ingredients in a perfect harmony of flavours.
1 cup (~130 gr) green or brown lentils, soaked in water overnight
4 tbsp mild olive oil, divided
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp each ground coriander and cumin
1 organic bouillon cube
Salt and pepper
3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
A large handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the tahini sauce:
1/2 a cup (~120 ml) raw tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 a cup (~120 ml) water
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 garlic clove, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the rice and lentils, rinse under running water and set aside in a colander.
- In a heavy pan, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil and add the cumin seeds. Cook on medium heat until the seeds start releasing their aromas. Add the rice, lentils and spices. Keep cooking and mixing for another 5 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of boiling water, the bouillon cube, salt and pepper. Mix well and bring to a simmer. Place the lid on and keep cooking on low - medium heat for 30-40 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed and both rice and lentils are soft. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Keep covered till you're ready to serve.
- While the Mejadra is cooking, heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and add the sliced onions. Cook the onions, while mixing from time to time, until they are nicely caramelised.
- Prepare the tahini sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl to a smooth, runny paste.
- To serve, transfer the Mejadra into a serving bowl, scatter the fried onions and chopped parsley on top and serve with the tahini sauce in a separate bowl on the side or drizzle on top.
Hi! My name is Galit Hahn, certified nutritionist an one of the nutrition experts of Renewmyday.
Let me be your guide bringing an indulging culinary world backed with nutritional science and a deeper understanding of the connection between the food we eat and our physical, mental and even spiritual wellbeing.
I hope you will be inspired by my recipes!